Monday, 8 October 2018
1. A SHORT SUMMARY OF DISTRIT 3310’S RESPONSE TO THE LOMBOK EARTHQUAKE
Initial response from 2 clubs to their sister clubs.
RC Kuching Central remitted MYR4,800 to Yayasan Rotary Club of Bali Kuta
RC Singapore remitted USD 5000 to RC Malang Central (includes donation from Ish K Foundation).
District Governor Henry Tan sought permission from Board to release RM50,000 from the District General Fund. A request for donations went out to the District from District Governor to all Presidents and Assistant Governors.
Clubs responded with pledges for RM13,900 and SGD/ BND17,000 to the District Disaster Fund justifying our Governor’s faith that Clubs would respond.
In discussions with PDG Al Purwa and DGN Nyomanto it became clear that the help they needed was aid in the Recovery /Rebuilding Phase (or as they put it “for the mid term”)
The plan to respond to request for aid in Recovery /Rebuilding Phase
- District Disaster Relief teams to join teams lead by PDG Al Purwa and DGN Nyomanto to carry out a survey
- Installation of pilot Skyhydrant facilities to provide clean water to communities / schools / hospitals / key facilities . Cost of equipment estimated at RM40,000
- Remaining RM10,000 and any additional collection to go towards purchase of torches, LED lights and household filters as per request from District 3420. Whether this is to be purchased in Malaysia Singapore, Indonesia or China will be decided with local input. We will work on the basis of acquiring all equipment locally if feasible.
- Global Grant to provide clean water to facilities and communities in need – to involve PDG Al Purwa, DGN Nyoman, PP Shahul, PP Ng Yaw Hua
At short notice a team led by PP Nelson Loong has joined PDG Al Purwa from 12 to 14 September to survey the situation. PP Nelson Loong went on behalf of disaster Relief Committee, District 3310. We invited PP KK Looi who went on behalf of Disaster Aid Malaysia, of Howard Bradfield, Chairman of Disaster Aid Australia.
In PDG Al Purwa’s words the team’s schedule :
12 Sept Afternoon went to Gombang, North Lombok to build 50 wooden homes and install one Skyhydrant.
13 September Install 100 Shelterbox and another Skyhydrant#.
Full details will be sent to all when PP Nelson Loong reports on return today.
Some photo reports from PDG Al Purwa will follow.
Yap Lip Kee
District Disaster Relief Committee
Rotary District 3310
# More information can be found in this link: https://www.skyjuice.org.au/skyhydrant/
The villagers and us are both happy to see the first Skyhydrant place at Desa Kopang functioning for more then 3000 people drinking water. 👍👍👍the rest we can start making a global grant involving many districts…🙏🙏🙏
Funds are being collected for Kerala. We are forming a recce team to be hosted by the Rotary Club of Cochin to carry out a similar survey.
Scheduled visit date is 30th September to 3rd October.
Rotarians able to join us most welcomed but please message me privately to discuss off line
2. SEEING EYE TO EYE CONFERENCE IN PENANG HOSTED BY THE ROTARY CLUB OF PENANG
This is a joint event of District 3300 and 3310. For more details please contact President Stephanie Wong at +60 12-489 0398 and Rotarian at +60 12-474 9663
3. ROTARY CLUB OF SARIKEI CHARITY RUN
The charity received media coverage on 10 Sep 2018. There were around 826 participants.
4. INCREASING AWARENESS OF ROTARY THROUGH THE SELLING OF THE BOOK OF HUMOUR.
RC of Singapore has a booth a Bishan Community Centre on 8 Sep 2018.
5. THEATRE AND DRAMA VOCATIONAL TRAINING – 6 TO 7 SEP 2018 AT THE ZARA’S BOUTIQUE HOTEL
The RC of Likas Bay and RC of Kinabalu Sutera conducted a two-day seminar to help improve teacher’s literacy standard particularly in English.
6. DONATION OF CONTACT LENS
RC of Sibu donated 50 contact lens to the low income group.
7. ROTARY CLUB OF GARDEN CITY HAS 2 NEW MEMBERS
RC of Garden City has inducted Maria and Darius on 4 Sep 2018.
8. MEMBERSHIP GROWTH
RC of Pandan Valley inducted Ms Rena Rajamohan on 21 September 2018.
9. GARDEN CITY COMMUNITY SERVICE
RC of Garden City donated S$10,000 worth of milk and diapers to St. Andrew Community Hospital.
10. JOINT PROJECT
RC Singapore West and Bugis junction jointly brought folks from Society for Aged Sick to have coffee at a nearby coffee shop.
11. DONATION OF LAPTOP
On 20 Sep 2018 RC of Pasir Gudang donated a laptop computer to an undergraduate of UNIMAS. RC of Malacca donated a laptop to a Form 6 needy student in Saint Francis Institution on 24 Sep 2018. The student is without parental support and lives in a hostel.
RC of Yong Peng Education Centre organised an event on 21 Sep 2018 to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival as well as the birthday of the students at the Centre.
13. ISO AWARD
RC of Batu Pahat Haemodialysis Centre has been awarded the ISO 9001-2015 certification.
14. WORLD POLIO DAY & FILM PREMIERE
To mark World Polio Day on 24 Oct 2018, RC of Kulai is organising a dinner at Wisma Rotary, Rotary Club of Kulai Dialysis Centre. Guest Speaker will be PDG Michael Yee. For more details please contact President Crystal Pang.
On the same day, a film premiere Final Man for Rotary “My Wish” Project by Rotary E-Club of 3310 will be shown at Shaw Theatre Lido. For more information please contact President Richard Ong.
15. PUBLIC TALK
On 5 Sep 2018, RC of Muar organised a public talk on the topic of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease: A Public Concern. The speaker was Dr. Yew Kian Teck a paeditrician. Rotaractors from Rotaract Club of AMU Muar also attended the talk and benefitted from it.
RC of Muar partnering with Befrienders organised a public talk on 10 Sep 2018. The topic was Gratitude – Unlocking the Code of Adversity. The talk was given motivational and spiritual speaker Ms Jessica Lim.
16. NOMINATION FOR DISTRICT GOVERNOR NOMINEE
Please note that the deadline for the submission of the name of candidate for DGN will close at midnight on 30 Sep 2018. Please email your nomination to District Governor with a copy to District General Secretary, PP Lai Bou Leong.